Monday, June 16, 2008

It is on

So I have added a race to my schedule. Cathy and I will be doing the Callaway Gardens Sprint Tri. This will be Cathy's first Tri. We went out and found her a tri top tonight at All 3 Sports. They didnt have much of a selection for Athena triathletes. If any of you have any suggestions on where to find the larger tri tops for women, it would be much appreciated. It should be good for her first as it is specifically designed for first timers. My plan is to go all out the whole time and see what I've got in me since it is such a short race. That way too, I can finish up and cheer Cathy on the rest of the way.

Here is the course description

The Swim
1/4 mile around the perimeter of Robin Lake in 4 to 5 feet of water, even less, closer to the shore.

The Bike
9 miles of gentle rolling terrain including Robin Lake Circle and Scenic Dr. An easy, but spectacularly scenic course.

The Run
2 miles around Robin Lake - totally flat.

Sounds like a great race. I know that Wes and Dee Dee will be there as well.

Tonight's training was a total of 1825 y/m swim ( I am still not sure how long the LA Fitness pool actually is. When I swam in HS our pools were all 25 Yards)

300 Warmup
8*25 Pull with paddles
6*100 Base intervals with 5 seconds rest
9*25 sprint with 20 seconds rest
8*25 Kick
300 Cool down

I really felt fast doing those 25's. My splits were (0:15.33 0:16.28 0:16.53 0:16.59 0:16.79 0:16.23 0:16.90 0:17.90 0:16.75) for an average of 16.59 per 25

On Sunday, I really plan on going out fast and taking advantage of my fast swim pace, since my bike and run are not as strong.

12 comments:

Stef said...

OMG I am so excited for Cathy!!! And for you too of course. :-) Can't wait to hear how you two do.

Your plan sounds really good. Your swim times are so speedy you should be able to build some kind of cushion. And then with the run being nice and flat you should be able to kick some tail there too . . . . WOOT!

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Best wishes for the upcoming sprint tri. Awesome that Cathy is doing it!!

And it sounds like you had a great time at the Fat B's mock tri as well.

Woot!

Marcy said...

Whoot Whoot!! You both will do awesome! And if Wes and Dee Dee are there, that's a reason in itself to sign up ;-)

Calyx Meredith said...

Yay for Cathy's first tri - it sounds like a great one!

I wish I had some advice on tops for Athenas, but I haven't found a good solution myself. I do think the Moving Comfort "Maia" bra is the best ever but the layer over that is still a toss up for me. Good luck!

Wes said...

Your bike and run times are coming along just fine. Callaway is one of those courses where you want to borderline heart attack for the entire distance :-)

Incidently, if you stay out by the buoys,its about six to eight feet deep there.

Can't wait to meet Cathy! Woot!!

Nitmos said...

You are a tri machine what with all the racing you've got planned! That sounds like a tri I could even tri. I think I could tread water for a 1/4 mile. I think.

D10 said...

How fun, you both in a race! You must be so proud of Cathy for entering. You guys are going to have a great time.

Steve Stenzel said...

Sounds like a great race!! And nice pool workouts!!

akshaye said...

Cool.. doing a tri together! I've heard good things about Callaway from Wes.

teacherwoman said...

Oooh.. I want to come! :)

Mary Gee said...

They really do design athletic clothes for mutantly small women.

Maybe Danskin? They have a lot of women's triathlon clothing. and you can get it online.

Viv said...

How great Cathy doing her first tri. With the company of peeps like Wes & Dee Dee it will be awesome!