Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It helps if you actually turn the alarm ON!!!

OK, so I was SUPPOSED to be up at 4:30. Well last night I set my alarm clock for 4:30AM, but dumba$$ forgot to actually turn the alarm ON. SO at 4:15 Cathy happened to roll over and thought I was supposed to up at 4:15. I told her no, my alarm is set for 4:30. Well 4:45 comes around and Cathy gets up to use the bathroom, and wakes me up like hello, you didnt turn your alarm on. And this isnt the first time I have set my alarm and forgotten to turn it on.

So since I had laid everything out and my bike was already on the trainer, I was able to get up and get on the bike in like 5 minutes. Instead of 90 minutes, I ended up only being able to do 75. In 75 minutes i did 30.94 miles for an average speed of 24.7 mph and an avg cadence of 78.I pushed the big chainring the whole time with my trainer set to the highest possible resistance. My legs felt really good.

This evening I hit the pool for a total of 1900 meters. The main set was Fartlek intervals 6*150 (50Easy/25Hard). It felt pretty good, though my shoulder is bothering me again. I may skip Friday's swim if it is still bothering me.

Tomorrow I will be up at 5 for an hour run with short sprint intervals.

As an asthmatic, I am especially succeptible to smog. For those that know, Atlanta has a smog problem during the summer. Every day, an air quality index number/color code is released. Code Red is considered Unhealthy and Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should avoid outdoor exertion; everyone else, especially children, should limit outdoor exertion. The smog levels get worse as the day goes on, so the best time to train is before dawn.Here is some more info on smog and the various levels.

12 comments:

Wes said...

Yea, I knew Cathy was a good chica :-)

{P.S. tell her NO is not an option ;-)}

teacherwoman said...

The alarm is one thing I am obsessed about. I set two if I am afraid I will miss one! ha!

An Athlete In Training said...

You're lucky it was only 15 minutes - I have a bad habit of sleeping through 4 alarms (and that's when I remember to set them!)

Thanks for that link to the smog index. Nice to know where to get some real numbers for it.

Ms. V. said...

Isn't this a Seinfeld episode?

LBTEPA said...

Hey, I have the ultimate excuse until I get to the shops this weekend - my puppy ate my alarm clock! True!

D10 said...

Good thing you had everything set to go. Nice job on the ride and swim. Hope the shoulder feels better.

Gotta Run said...

GO CATHY!! Even better... go ERIC for getting up and getting right to it. Very nice!

So did you make the 5am alarm this morning. I so hate when a plan does not come together only because of our dumb BUTTS.

And yes... I love my tri suit. It rocks. Cost too much $$$ but worth it.

Marcy said...

Ahhhhhh see, the wife always saves the day :P

cindy said...

Good job Cathy :)

We have "alarm issues" in our house, too. I'm the one who usually forgets to turn it on, and Jeff forgets to turn it off!! He'll hit the snooze, get in the shower, I'm downstairs and sure enough the alarm goes off super loud upstairs. I have to run upstairs (poor me) to turn it off.

RazZDoodle said...

This post reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when he has the Kenyan marathon runner stay at his house. Classic!

Viv said...

The woman is always the hero in the story :-)
A womans internal/bathroom alarm now those never fail. Glad you got the 75

sRod said...

Ugh, missing the alarm is horrible. I had a few alarm misses last summer during marathon training. I started waking up an hour before my alarm in order make sure I didn't miss it. As if I wasn't getting poor sleep already!