Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Code Red

Well since I stayed up last night to watch the Mole, I chose to push my run back to tonight. Well I think that may not have been the best idea. Not only was it almost 90, we were under a Code Red smog alert in Atlanta today. 2 Miles into my run I definitely could feel it in my lungs. By the end, I had cotton mouth even though I wore my fuel belt and drank all 4 bottles. Its definitely time to upgrade to the 6 bottle model.

My first two miles were great. The first one came in at 8:47 and the second was 8:59. Then mile three was hilly and I did it in 10:06. While I never felt like my run was hard, I definitely was not getting enough air to keep up the pace of the first wo miles. The final two miles were 10:17 and 10:08. Total time 48:18 for an average pace of 9:40. Overall, not too bad for an easy run, but I think I couldve done better if I could have breathed easier.

Tomorrow I have to be up at 4:15AM so I can hit the bike for a 90 minute ride. Before I go to bed I am going to set up my bike on the trainer in the garage. I lucked out that Cathy's car is in the shop for some routine maintenance. This will be my longest early morning workout to date so it will be interesting.

This weekend is the Iron Girl Sprint Tri in Buford, GA. It should be a great weekend. Cathy and I will be working packet pickup on Saturday morning and then there is a blogger dinner get together at our favorite italian restaurant. I cant wait to meet
Katie, Robin, Lauren, Mendy and David. Wes and Dee Dee will be there as well.

Thanks Wes for setting this dinner up. It should be great

20 comments:

Viv said...

The code reds are hurting peeps on the run. Take it easy out there Kevin. Good luck with the long bike in the early early early morning or middle of the night.

That should be a great get together of bloggers at the Irongirl.

J~Mom said...

Have a super fun weekend!! There are sure to be tons of laughs with that crew at dinner! ;>)

Karen said...

Firstly excellent race last weekend! Well done!

Secondly - code ref smog alert... EUGGGHHHHHHH..... I did a run out in Hotlanta in May and it was TOO hot for me then, I'd probably die if I went over there now with the heat and smog!

Good for you getting up so early - wish I could ;o)

D10 said...

Moving up to 6 bottles! I have been thinking about this too. On my long runs which to date have only maxed out at 16 miles, I have depleted all four bottles. With the addition of several more miles, I am going to have to figure something out.

If you get a 6, let me know how you like it.

Brian said...

Code red, perfect training weather.
Whatever doesn't kill ya, right?

Really, it's time to slowdown and work on some zone 1 or 2 with some pickups. For me my body doesn't recover as quickly and I start to feel the fatigue creeping in.

Have a good weekend, I wish I was with you guys.

triguyjt said...

way to hit the run in the very tough hot conditions....

and the 90 minute early morning spin in the garage...great...

enjoy meeting the bloggy peeps......

cindy said...

Way to tough it out in the heat...and I think that's a fast pace!

Have fun this weekend. Good luck to Cathy!!

cindy said...

I just remembered you said Cathy and you would be helping with packet pickup, so she may not be actually racing...oops...oh well, good luck still with voluteering!! That should be fun :)

Kellye Mills said...

Are we in a code Red? Maybe that explains a few things! :) Unfortunately, my t.v. stays locked on nickelodeon... so I don't get a lot of news!

akshaye said...

yep.. nasty air quality these days.

Wes said...

Running under code red is major suckage :-) This morning was awesome though!!

Marcy said...

Dude I watched the very first season of The Mole (this was years ago) and I loved it. I can't beleive it's still on?!? Is Anderson Cooper hosting it again because I'll watch it just for that (and YES I'm fully aware of the rumors :P)

sRod said...

Code Red smog alert? What is that?

I have pictures of a red fog clouds rolling voer the city of Atlanta, engulfing everything in their path.

Steph Bachman said...

Annika and I will see you at packet pickup on Saturday.

I tried to comment on the Callaway Gardens post, but 21.1 mph is SMOKING fast. You rock! And Cathy too - way to go!

Lauren said...

I thought RED meant was the running restriction day for Dawgs to run. Orange was for Vol fans. Yellows for those pesky bees from downtown.

LOL. J/K

Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday!

Nitmos said...

90 degrees is some tough running. I was complaining about 82 the other day! Way to get it done though.

teacherwoman said...

I knew I should have taken that job in NC! I would have been so much closer to all you triathletes! hehehe.

Nice job on the run despite the not-so-favorable conditions. Hope you enjoyed your early morning ride this morning! wahoo!

Ms. V. said...

92 is WAY too hot for me! WTG

That Code Red is Fresno State, come in to take their title in the College World Series! :)

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

I don't really know what a code red alert is, but it doesn't sound good.

Have fun at the bloggy dinner meet-up this weekend. :)

Stef said...

You guys will have so much fun this weekend!