Thursday, May 29, 2008

Workin a double

So today for training I was doing a double. Originally I had planned on being up in the AM to run and then swim in the PM. Well I really cant stand running on the dreadmill. I never heard from those in the regular Saturday morning group who run during the week. Since I have had bad luck meeting up for lots of group training for the first time and nobody being there, I didnt want to get up at 430 and be down at the starbux at 515 just to find out noone was there. So I decided to switch it up and swim this morning and suffer through a run in the PM. This way I didnt have to be up till 5.

This morning was a long base swim. I hate the pool at the LA Fitness closest to my office. I swear you would think this pool was in a retirement home. I think they have the thermostat set at 80 degrees. I did 250 W/U . 1500 Straight (except when I had to stop and check my watch to see how far I had gone- I would lap my watch every 500) and 250 C/D.I did it in 25:44. This is about a minute slower then my last 1500, but it was more evenly paced (8:13,8:41,8:49).

Then I spent all day in and out of my car heading to various company sites doing mock inspections. I was glad to finish up my day a little early and closer to home as well as many of my old favorite running spots. I chose one of the trails that is a packed rock trail that is about a 1.25 mile loop. Its not too bad. but has a couple of good climbs. Luckily, it was a little cool, though it still was really humid.



So overall I took it easy and a couple of times walked part of the uphills. I only had the slightest knee pain at times, but that was my signal that I needed to check my form. Right now I am working to focus on keeping my toes parallel, pointing straight ahead, as well as slightly leaning in at the ankles. When my form is good, I am defnitely landing midfoot. I am also keeping cognizant of my posture when i am sitting at my desk.

So now I am going to spend an hour on the roller as I watch the season finale of Lost and decide whether or not I will keep watching next season as this season has been kinda hinky. Right now my knee doesnt hurt at all which is a good sign

One last thing. I saw an amazing story on the news tonight. 41 Year old olympic swimmer Dara Torres is attempting to qualify once again for the Olympics.This would be her 5th trip.Her first gold medal was 24 years ago. Last year she broke her own 100 meter US record set 8 years ago.This 15 months after giving birth no less. This woman is one strong competitor. I wish I knew more about her strength training it looks like it is killer. cbsnews.com has the video that has a few shots of her strength training.

15 comments:

Viv said...

Thanks for the video.
I have the same prob with the temp at my gym's pool.

This lady with a noodle said, "oh it's perfect." OMG!

Enjoy your evening.

Stef said...

Dude, once you get your form down you will be UNSTOPPABLE!

PreFan1982 said...

Glad to hear about the swimming improvements. I am just learning so I really admire your skillz in the pool. I just got a job at Phiddipides in Ansley Mall-after June 14 come by and say hey if you can.

Calyx Meredith said...

Thanks for the link/video. She is inspiring! Glad you're getting such good solid workouts in. Can't wait to watch how that pays off for you. (And thanks also for the kind words today.)

akshaye said...

Nice workout.. I guess it was the cooler weather in the morn that made them turn up the heat in the pool!

That is an incredible story.. thanks for sharing it.

Duane said...

I must be old, I love 80 degree water!

D10 said...

Thanks for sharing the video! I am an Olympic junkie, I loved watching them as a kid. It is always stories like this that inspire me. Stretching trainers, who knew..I need to find one of those.

Jess said...

That woman is amazing, and I am so glad she made the Olympic team!

triguyjt said...

way to rock the switch in routine..
dara torres is one tough woman....

Wes said...

Some great workouts! I'm glad the knee is coming around... That's great news.

In regards to the LT testing. The protocols are on the internet in multiple places. Google for Lactate Threshold Testing. One good one is at CrucibleFitness.com. Sorry I don't have the direct link. If you add Gale Bernhardt to that search, you can find her PDF with some good info in it.

Marcy said...

Absolutely amazing vid! Dang!

Did the pool have seniors in there as well as the high temps? :P

Sam said...

I read a whole story about her and how folks think she is using drugs to keep going. I'll try to find it again because it explained how she has completely changed the way she trains and it has made all the difference.

Nitmos said...

You know you'll watch Lost next season. You've gone this far and there are only 2 seasons left!

Gotta Run said...

That woman is rock solid. Just another story to show us all that we are never to old to chase our dreams.

As for the MMTR training... 786 miles between June 1st and Nov 1st and boy the heat is going to make me work for it. Longest run will be 31 miles and the highest running week will be 60 miles. YIKES!!

Dani Spies said...

Just found your blog...sounds like you're on an exciting journey:)!! I look forward to keeping up with your stories!