Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend recap

Thanks everyone for your great responses to my personal story. I am working on rewriting it for the evotri contest. It has to be 500 or less, and right now I am exactly at 500 words It was originally over 1600. I have till mid June, but I dont want to wait too long and forget to send it in.

I've been bummed alot about my knee problems. I have been stretching and icing and taking aleve. Its weird that it had hurt worse before it started to get better. I am planning on trying and running tomorrow to see how it feels.

Saturday I hit the pool for 1600 yards with a main set of 4*200 Threshold with 45 seconds of rest. I averaged a pace of 3:02.83 with splits of

2:55.53
3:01.34
3:06.94
3:07.52



Sunday I decided to throw the bike on the trainer for 2 hours. Well I only made it through 90 minutes because my knee began to hurt. Overall the ride wasnt too bad. What surprised me is that after taking Hornet Juice pre-ride, I didnt need a gel at all and felt like if my knee had behaved, I wouldve made it 2 hours with no need for a gel. This stuff really seems to work. Of course it aint cheap. It varies in price from 1.70-2.25 per serving depending on how many you buy. In 90 minutes I made it through 31.83 miles for an average speed of 21.81 mph.

Up today was another swim. Today was a hard workout. It was a total of 1900 yards with a main set of 6*100 with 60 seconds of rest. My plan was to get in the pool and hold nothing back. I averaged 1:23.21.

My splits were
1:19.03
1:21.24
1:23.89
1:24.02
1:25.07
1:26.03


I feel like I continue to make great progress on the swim. My biking is coming along, but I definitely need to start working on riding hills. Once my knee is 100% I think my running will continue to improve.

I am hoping my knee will be close to 100% before Monday's big run. I really feel good about pacing and breaking 50 minutes in the 10K.

17 comments:

triguyjt said...

hope your knee gets better... and read your previous post...your story and its very compelling..

you are on such a great journey..keep it going..awesome..

and your blog header..looks cool. good job pimping it out..nice

akshaye said...

Hope the knee gets better.. I try and wear a brace for some support when mines acting up. Good luck on the contest!

Stef said...

Those are some excellent swim times!

Try not to get too discouraged about the knee -- it's hard to walk that fine line between letting it recover and wanting to train.

I'm with you on your 10k goal though -- I have my own to chase this weekend.

Here's to both of us achieving those goals. :-)

Marcy said...

Awwwhh man! Bummer on the knee. I hope that gets better ASAP!

Makita said...

I hope your knee starts feeling better soon. Your swim times are great! Keep it up! I'm certain the swimming will help your knee to recover. Best of luck on the Evo.Contest! :)

cindy said...

You're a super fast swimmer!!

Good luck with the knee...I know that's no fun...good healing vibes are being sent your way :)

Wes said...

Have you ever had your bike fitted? If so, after you lost alot of weight, or before? Just askin cause I know that could be aggrevating if not causing your knee issues...

Kevin said...

I had a fitting last year. I probably should have another one done.

Viv said...

I really hope that knee gets better. Such a bummer when body parts don't want to cooperate.

D10 said...

Nice job on the swim. Don't forget to send your story in, it is such a great and one. Take it easy on the knee this week. Hope you are feeling better for the run.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Your swim is amazing!!

I hope your knee gets well soon.

LBTEPA said...

Hey I just read your "my story' post -very inspiring - good luck for your PB!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Hope your knee gets better!! Sounds like you are doing all the right things so it will come around. At least your aren't completely at a stand still and doing nothing!

Nitmos said...

Croos train, stretch, cross train, stretch, repeat ad infinitum = knee will feel better.

PreFan1982 said...

What is hornet juice and where can I get it?

Brian said...

Hey Kevin,

I would go for another bike fit. You might want to try to adjust you cleats in or out just a little and see if that helps.

Thanks for the post on my blog, I needed that.

-Brian

Calyx Meredith said...

Holy crap - you must be part dolphin!! I'm sorry the knee has been such a bother but it sounds like you're doing everything I've ever heard to do for it! Best of luck smashing those goals!