Thursday, May 8, 2008

Training getting harder

So I can definitely feel that my training is getting harder. Shorter rests in my swim intervals and longer run intervals are definitely forcing me to push harder. I know it will definitely pay off in the end. Next will be even harder as the volume begins to increase on top of the intensity. So far I am feeling great.

So yesterday I hit the pool for lactate intervals. The main set was 5*200 with ONLY 20 seconds. Wow 20 seconds really isnt much rest. These intervals are definitely building my endurance while swimming faster. Overall, my spilts were fairly consistant (3:00.47,3:07.44,3:13.94,3:14.77,3:13.21) I really feel like I am getting faster.

Up today, run intervals. Normally, I do them on the dreadmill. Today I decided to do them outside at the park by my house. The park has a loop that is just over a mile and is mainly flat with a few small hills. It definitely is a different beast doing intervals outside versus doing them on the dreadmill. Next time, I am may find a track to do my intervals at so I can keep them flat. Overall, they werent too bad. I did find I couldnt seem to keep a steady pace (this may be because of the hills).My pace was 40 seconds slower then my last dreadmill interval. Plus, it decided to rain just long enough to make it humid. UGH...I really need to do more of my intervals outside to get a better feel for pacing myself.

Not much else going on. Tomorrow Im hitting the pool. I dont have any specific plan. If im feeling good, I think I may do a 1000 yard time trial. Saturday I have a 10 mile run planned. It looks like Sunday's 2 hr ride will be done on the trainer. Thats fine, because I can finish the second half of Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings that I started the last time I did my Sunday ride on the trainer. Hope everyone is having a great week
--Kevin

Wed OSN:1800 Yards Main set 5*200 threshold
Thurs ORN: Intervals 4.71 miles 44:01 9:21 avg/mi

9 comments:

Tea said...

WOW--your swimming looks fantastic!

I love the new look of your blog too!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Nice job with the intervals. I love doing them on a track when I can get access to one. It really lets you focus on what you are doing without having to worry about footing or anybody getting in the way.

Viv said...

The swimming is looking sweet! I hope you have a great training weekend.

akshaye said...

Sweet numbers!

Marcy said...

What? 20 seconds?!? Dang I need like 20 minutes :P

Sam said...

You are going to kill the swim!

cindy said...

Awesome swimming, and the rest of your training as well! You are doing a great job pushing though the hard workouts, and it is going to pay off for you big time!!

D10 said...

You are doing great, Keep it up! I hope your wife had a wonderful birthday. Enjoy the weekend.

J~Mom said...

Your numbers look amazing!! Keep it up!