Thursday, May 1, 2008

that cant be right

I stepped on the scale this morning and had to do a double take. The last time I weighed myself I was 240. I stepped on the scale and I was down to 237.5. I was like holy shit. I had to step off the scale and back on. I thought I must be mistaken. I am now down over 20 pounds. I really have to thank Ilana my nutritionist. She has really helped to get my eating on track to be able to lose weight and yet still fuel my training. I feel like I am making amazing progress.

So I have decided on my Oly race for the year. I am going to do the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri. I have only heard good things about this race. the swim is a fast, one way down stream. The bike and run arent bad. This race draws a big crowd and apparently the pros also come out for this race too. I am hoping several of my homies here in the ATL decide to go.

I found out today I am going to be a part of the Hornet Juice Challenge. They are picking a total of 30 people based on there 25-30 word response to the question about why you want to take the challenge. They send each of the 30 participants 8 servings of hornet juice to try out and then post a response to how the training went while using the product. They will chose 3 winners:
  • overall winner: 100 servings plus shirt and cap

  • 3 runner ups get HJ shirt and 30 HJ packets

  • all 30 entrants gets $10 HJ paypal gift certificate
So wish me luck. I am hoping if this stuff really works, that I will have it for my 10K on memorial day. I have seen some decent reviews on it.


Tonight I learned an important lesson on the treadmill: If I go out too fast in the beginning, I never can fully recover. My plan today was 10 W/U 10*1 Fast/1 Easy 10 C/D. My previous fast intervals were done at 8 mph and they had all been 30sec/30 sec. So I decided to push my fast ones up to 8.5 mph. BIG MISTAKE. The first few werent bad. But by 5, my lungs were toast. I stopped for a minute to catch my breath. I decded to do the last 5 at 8 mph. Once I was done with those I had to stop again to catch my breath. I ended up cutting my C/D to 5 minutes. I was ust completely out of breath.
I am glad to know I can run that fast for short distances, but I know that right now my ideal sprint( and prolly race) pace is 8mph. I will not push faster again until 8mph starts to actually feel slow.

18 comments:

Shawn said...

WTG on the weight loss! I may need to get myself a nutritionist. Good luck on the HJ contest!

Tea said...

CONGRATS on the weight loss! That is amazing! You are so right that it's tough to lose weight and still fuel correctly. That's great that you are working with a nutritionist.

Viv said...

Great job on the WL! That is always an aweome feeling. I laughed since I usually do the double step on the scale :-)
Best of luck with juice contest.

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Great job with the weight!! Obviously what you are doing is working so keep up the good work. Having a nutritionist is a VERY good idea.

D10 said...

Congratulations on the weight loss, great job. Good luck with the Hornet Juice Challenge.

Wes said...

Killer, Kevin! Nothing, and I mean nothing makes you feel better all day than losing weight. Keep up the great work...

I have Chattanooga on my radar. I need to see if Dee Dee wants to race too. She won't be ready for an Oly in July. If she doesn't, then I am definitely going.

Marcy said...

CONGRATS on the weight loss! Doesn't it feel so nice? ;-)

Hornet juice . . .hmmm I'll ave to see what that's about. GOOD LUCK on the contest :-)

Mendy said...

That's awesome about your weightloss. I really need a day when I get on the scale and be shocked like that, instead of the other way around. I'm frustrated.

Good luck on the contest!!!

Nitmos said...

Keep focusing on those challenege and races and nutrition and I bet that weight flys off you without you even noticing...until the pants hit the floor when you stand up. Then, it'll be 'holy crap I lost a lot of weight'.

J~Mom said...

That is awesome about your weight loss!! You have been working hard and it's paying off!

I got some HJ from the b-fit challenge but haven't tried it yet, I need to!

Gotta Run said...

I am very impressed with your weight loss numbers!!! And the contest sounds like fun!!

Endurance said...

What a wonderful milestone! Keep up the great work on managing your nutrition and good luck in both training for your tri and the HJ challenge!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oops, that was me while logged in as my Endurance Sports Bar account ;-)

Rachel said...

Awesome job! That's fantastic. Keep up the good work.

cindy said...

Great job with the weight loss!!

Good luck withthe contest...it sounds like fun :)

Ryan said...

Chattanooga, IT'S ON!!

Can't wait to meet you there because I'll be there too.

Damn, at the rate you are slimming down, you are going to be one of those little people by then.

I always say, I am only two good stomach viruses away from being at my ideal weight!

PreFan1982 said...

Hey man I am new to visiting your blog. I love it!! I got back into working out because I was 175lbs and 5'5". I'm now down to 147lbs and enjoying running as a passion.
I am moving to the Decatur area in a few weeks with my wife for school. Where are you in relation? Maybe we can work out sometime-I'm trying to meet some new workout/training buddies since I am moving from Columbus, Ga my hometown.

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Awesome job with the weight loss. Keep up the good work!