Sunday, May 4, 2008

One Hill of a weekend

Overall, I had a pretty decent weekend of training.Two of my last three days was filled with nothing but hills.

Friday night I came home and had the choice of throwing my bike on the trainer or riding in my hood. Its rather hilly in my neighborhood which is a good thing since I need to work on my hill climbing. I did an hour on the bike and really pushed myself on the climbs. It felt good, but I definitely need more work.

Saturday morning I met up with my normal running group. I wish I had looked at the morning's route before I chose to do hills on the bike on Friday. As it would turn out, of the groups normal routes, this is definitely the hilliest. I pushed myself hard but not too fast. I made decent time given the amount of hills.By the end of 6 miles my legs were definitely toast.

Saturday afternoon, we finally found Cathy a bike. I had been trying to find her a decent used road bike that would be good for her as a starter bike. I hadnt been having mych luck till I found out one of the shops I regularly do a group ride with were clearing out last year's excess inventory. Turns out they had a 2007 Giant OCR3 on sale for just a little more then we were looking for a new bike for, but this one had a warranty , free fitting, and free tuneups for life. It is a pretty decent bike and its got a triple chainring which will be perfect for helping her climb the hills in our hood. Hopefully by next year she will be ready to do an Aquabike race. For those that dont know, Aquabike is like a tri, but it is only Swim and bike, but no run. Many races are adding an aquabike division because some people can no longer run but want to race.

Sunday, I had told Wes I would "likely" meet up with him and Brian at Dallas Landing. First mistake: not getting Wes's cell phone number. Second mistake: making an actual commitment that I would definitely be there. So as I was saying, I headed out to Dallas Landing. Third mistake: becuase I was tired and achy I putzed around and ended up getting there about ten minutes late. Well to my surprise, the park was closed, for no apparent reason, and noone was there. So I decided I would drive to my favorite place to ride/run. Its funny, because heading back I saw a sign for acworth beach and almost went to see what was going on there. I wish I had because thats where Wes and Brian ended up along with some 30 or so TnT Triathletes.
So anyways I headed over to columns drive to do my originally scheduled brick. I did 25 miles on the bike. Despite my last two hard workouts I actually felt really great. I did almost the whole ride in the aero bars and I felt pretty good. I averaged about 19.5 mph which is amazing. I think my race pace I am going to shoot for is around 19 mph. I got off my bike, threw it in my car, put my shoes on and grabbed my Ipod. I headed back out the same nice flat road and my legs actually felt strong. I ended up doing almost 3.5 miles averaging about a 9:30 pace. I felt like I could probably have kept up that pace for a full 6 miles.

Tomorrow begins my last week before I start my 20 week 70.3 plan. I really cant wait to start really pushing beyond my limits.

FRI:OCN Hill Repeats 15.11 miles 59:32
SAT:ORN Long/Hill Run 6.01 miles 58:30 9:34
SUN:Brick Ride: 25.7 1:18:58 19.53 mph Run:3.45 33:02 9:94/mi

11 comments:

Stef said...

Great workouts, despite missing Wes and Brian. Your paces sound awesome -- so glad you are feeling better.

That Giant bike sounds great too!

triguyjt said...

way to rock that bike at 19 per....and nice run off the bike....

you have pretty strong paces for both...
man, have you come a long, long way , not so big guy anymore

akshaye said...

rockin pace on the bike. Glad you found a nice one for Cathy!

Marcy said...

Whooooo that bike speed is smokin! Awesome job my man!

Brian said...

Too bad we missed you, and all because Dallas Landing was closed.

It sounded like you got in a pretty rocking weekend anyway.

We'll have to do another big session Chattanooga.

-Brian

D10 said...

Seems like hills were the topic for lots of people this weekend! Nice workouts, especially yesterday. Keep up all your hard work.

Wes said...

Dude! I am so sorry I missed you. I would have waited if I had known you were coming... I'm glad you had an alternative planned!! If you want my cell phone number, just email me...

We'll see how our training syncs up for the summer. I'm sure we'll be able to get together again soon.

Makita said...

I think it was the weekend for missed running blog family meet-ups.

Killer pace on the bike! :D

Viv said...

Awesome bike pace, and run! You surely had a productive weekend! Rockin'

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

70.3 plan is just around the corner? Seems like you're running out of time to be lazy, but yet you aren't being lazy at all. What's up with that?!?! LOL

J~Mom said...

Great weekend workouts!!