Friday, May 23, 2008

I love blogging

All I can say is blogging is great. There is such a great community of triathletes and runners who have so much more experience than I that are able to offer help. Thank you for all your comments and pieces of advice


I have been icing my knee and taking alieve twice a day. I have been stretching and using my foam roller every night for about 30 minutes to an hour. Its weird since Ive started stretching I have been feeling some pain in my right ITB. Im guessing it has been chronically tight. My knee pain isn't really bad. Its more of a dull pain then anything. since I haven't been running, the pain is more frequent then when I was running. Also,there is no swelling at all.Reading through various medical sites, I think I may have plica syndrome which is an overuse injury. I had a coworker take an X-Ray and it appears to not have changed since I had my bursitis at the beginning of the year

Stacy (Teacherwoman)-I do have 2 yoga DVDs I am going to try to fit it into my schedule a couple times a week

Wes- Unfortunately that is one area that has been lacking in my training. I am planning on starting strength training next week. I am looking at two books I own I am going through Core Performance as well as Tri Power I am leaning towards Tri Power since it is triathlon specific and more are the workouts are doable at home with the weight set I have plus elastic bands.

Brian-I havent signed up yet. My plan was to sign up before the end of may because the price goes up June 1st

Ryan-Thats alot of great info. I am definitely a heel striker and have had many of those problems you describe. I will be shooting you an email for more info

I think I may go to the bookstore at lunch to look at the book Chi Running I have heard several good reviews on its techniques for changing your running form.

As far as my training plan: When I was planning on an Oly on June 14th, I had planned to finish my Oly Plan off and just add an extra day of base running,base cycling, and long base swimming to my oly plan until it ended then I would hop into the applicable week of the 70.3 plan. Now that my Oly isnt till mid July I am going to probably just hop back into the base period that the 70.3 plan would have me in if I were just doing that alone. I figure less speed work will probably be better for me as I am rehabbing my knee. I am also going to add 2-3 days of strength training per week

16 comments:

Nitmos said...

I learned a few things from Chi Running. However, while reading, keep in mind there are several other running "experts" who completely disagree with some of the approaches he recommends.

Viv said...

I hope the changes in the schedule will alleviate the knee.

Maybe the Chir running will help. I just can't think enough while running to change my terrible form.

Wes said...

You are right though! Your knee pain could be from tight muscles else where. I bought this book called Trigger Point Therapy from Amazon. It's pretty good about that stuff.

I like the Chi Running book a lot as well. I credit it with helping me reach my first half marathon, injury free. I've been meaning to pick it up again and re-read it, as I only put into practice about 30% of it!

You are going to have an awesome year, Kev! Get 100% bro!!

peter said...

It sounds like you're doing great in your re-assesment of life. keep it up. I hope you get to that Mem Day 10K and 50 falls. Last Sunday I did the Capitol Hill Classic 10K here in DC that kicked my butt a year ago and I handled its dreaded hill well thanks to a year of work on that hill and shaved 1:14 off. Good stuff happens when you work at it as you are. Take Yoga. It revamped my running, although I only do it once a week in class.

cindy said...

Your training plans with your oly and half sound great. I agree that less speedwork with the base phase of training will probably give your knee some good rest. I just did *leeetle* speedwork on my run yesterday, and already, I feel it in my knees today!

Good luck...I love blogging, too :)

Brian said...

Sounds like your going at it the right way, RICE, and knowing that is half the battle.

Give it some time, and go at it slow, think base miles.

Might be a good time to really working on swimming.

D10 said...

There are many of us who are so glad you love blogging because we love reading what your write!

Keep taking it easy and listening to your body. You'll be back to 100% soon. Have a great weekend.

Jess said...

It sounds as though you're approaching the injury in all the right ways. And quite simply, just as there's no perfect way of running to prevent injury, there's no perfect way of treating it. You just have to go with what works best for you.

Paul said...

Hi Kevin,

I agree with Wes regarding the Trigger Point book and Chi/Pose running can definitely help. Take it slow when changing your running form. I took a few months to do it and it's made all the difference for me. Feedback from a chi/pose coach can help a lot. Video analysis is huge!! If some one can video you. It's amazing what you can pick out from that.

Good luck!

Stef said...

I have the Chi Running book and really like it. It's a lot to take in though and, like Wes, I have only managed to incorporate parts of it.

ShirleyPerly said...

Just wanted to wish you luck on your 10K tomorrow!

triguyjt said...

good luck on the 10k kevin...
you really seem to be right on top of the whole injury..cause-cure--therapy thing...

Tea said...

I'm sorry you've been having problems! It's tough, but you are absolutely right to step back the speedwork until you work out the problem.

Steve Stenzel said...

I'm sure you've been getting your dose of contradictory reports, but my advise is to take a day off from the roller now and then. I was stretching and rolling my problem areas, and it suddenly got better when I took 2 days off. Don't over work it. Best of luck!!!

PreFan1982 said...

Hey man. Katie my wife has had chronic ITB pain in her knee since she went down a hill awkwardly 5 months ago. I will get you the website she found with some great strethces aimed at loosening up the ITB band in your knee.
It still bothers her from time to time but not as much.
Take it easy.

J~Mom said...

I have also been told to look for Chi running videos on youtube... I haven't yet but it's on my list of things to do. I hope your knee is better soon!