Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Cathy

I want to start out by saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my wonderful wife Cathy. I am very proud of her. She took her birthday present (The new Bike) out for its first ride in the hood and made it up both of the hills. I remember the first time I rode those hills and they are pretty tough. I still need to help her through proper use of gears, but otherwise she is doing great.

Last night was an easy ride for me. I rode for 40 minutes and did a little more then 10 miles. More importantly, I did a bunch of work on Windbreaker. When we bought Cathy's bike, the shop owner had flipped the stem over. Originally it had been more straight or slightly downward pointing. when he flipped it, it was pointing upward which would be easier for her. He explained that there are differing opinions on which way is better, but that the downward position was more Aero and his preferred position. So I got to thinking, I knew my stem pointed upward. Last night I decided to flip it before my ride. It really wasnt too hard to do. Boy I was surprised. It definitely is a more areo position. It allowed me to get down further into the aero position and it didnt bother me at all.

During my ride, I kept hearing my front tire rubbing on my brake. After closer inspection i discovered my front wheel was seriously out of true. So after my ride. I decided to do some work on my bike. I tightened all the spokes and worked on my wheel till it was closer o the center of the fork. If it continues to be a prob, I will take the wheel in and hopefully they can true it right away. I will need to buy some new brake pads this weekend. While I was working on it I went ahead and cleaned most of my bike and relubed the chain. So hopefully my next ride will be smoother.

I am really interested to see how the change in stem position will affect my ride. The bike shop owner seemed to claim it will help me to generate more power

OCN:10.21 Mi 42:48 14.32 mph

15 comments:

Wes said...

Happy Birtday, Cathy! I don't much about stems, I just trust by fitter to put me where I need to be!! If it gets you MORE POWER, then I say have at it!!

Brian said...

Happy B-Day to Cathy.

I like that you can work on your bike, so may people have no clue.

cindy said...

Happy Birthday to Cathy!! Today is my husband's birthday, too :)

Marcy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CATHY!!! Glad she enjoyed her present ;D ;D

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Happy birthday Cathy! What a great b-day gift!

Ryan said...

Bike shop owners are RETARDS!!!

Lowering your stem will cut exposed surface area ie: more aero.

Pushing on the pedal harder = more power

If you can get the right amount of aero vs. power, you will be a rock star.

I love being "Aero"

Can you tell that I have a little problem with my bike shop owners?

:)

teacherwoman said...

Happy birthday to your Wifey! Nice job on the ride! :)

Stef said...

More power sounds good, along with a good aero position that you can stay in awhile! I feel like I'm still getting my feet wet when it comes to the bike -- need a refitting after my race this weekend.

Happy Birthday to Cathy and way to go on those hills!

akshaye said...

Happy Birthday Cathy! Nice present :)

Jess said...

Happy birthday Cathy!!

Nitmos said...

I read these entries from tri guys like yourself and become intimidated. I wouldn't know the first thing about tuning a bike up correctly. I still ride a $40 Huffy purchsed from WalMart. I doubt that its race ready.

Happy Birthday to Cathy. Enjoy the bike.

Gotta Run said...

Alright... now you have me thinking about my stem. Maybe something I need to adjust as well.

thanks for passing along the info.

Love the new Tri wear!!!!

Calyx Meredith said...

Love the word "triaflete" and enjoy both your blog and your comments to others. Thought I'd de-lurk to say - well done on tuning your own bike. (I'm way to chicken to muck about with mine.) And happy (belated) b-day to Cathy.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Happy Birthday Cathy!

How cool that in making the bike more comfortable for her, you figured out how to make your own more aero!

J~Mom said...

Hope your wife had a great birthday!

I am scared to mess around with my bike like that. I think I need to take the whole thing apart and build it to get over it. LOL