Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weekend Update

Saturday was a great day. I woke up at 5 and turned on the weather. All the rain had passed overnight. I was so glad it would actually be a dry Saturday. I met the group at 645 and headed out for a 6 mile run. I headed out a little fast and was feeling great. I got a mile down the road and realized its great I am at the front of the group, but I forgot to check what the route was. So I backed off some till the rest caught up and I got a quick briefing on what the route was. Most of the group had just run ING and were still recovering so their pace was a little slower then usual. The course this week was rather flat and I was surprised every time I looked down at my Forerunner and saw how fast I was going without feeling out of breath. Towards the end, I was running negative splits. My legs felt great. I had to back off with only a quarter mile to go because my stomach was bothering bothering me. I cant wait to run the Peachtree in July. I am lookin for a real good time this year. I ended up running 6 miles in 1 hr 35 sec for an average pace of 10:06. It seems like this keeps coming down.

Next up was our appointment with Ilana the nutritionist. When we got there, she weighed us. I lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks. I really hopes this keeps going this way. She checked over my logs and everything looked pretty good. She recommended I dont change anything if I am training twice a day, that this will mean extra calorie deficit and further weight loss. Finally, she recommended on my longer rides to take a gel every hour on the bike.

So Sunday morning was a real test for my nutrition and my endurance. It was also one of those days where I probably did more then I should have, but so far I feel OK. My plan only called for a 90 minute long ride. I decided I wanted to test my endurance since I was going to be on the relatively flat Silver Comet. Most of my long rides have been on hillier courses. I decided I would do 2-3 hours. I would make my decision when I hit one hour whether or not to turn around or keep going for another 30 minutes. All the others in the group I was riding with were doing 4 hours. Well I knew the ride was gonna be tough since it was going to be 40 degress and really windy. I was glad I wore several layers, including my new arm warmers, because it was really cold. We headed out and I was averaging about 19 mph until the wind kicked in. Until then I was keeping up with the front of the pack. Once the wind picked up, my speed backed down to about 17 or so. I knew I wanted to keep my HR down since this was a long base ride. We all regrouped after an hour. I sucked down a gel and some water and decided I wanted to keep going. I probably should have turned back. I fell all the way to the back of the group and found it difficult to keep up. I turned around at 90 miles having done 24.1 miles. Riding back wasnt too bad. I took another Gel at 2 hrs and 10 mins later I had a second burst of energy. I felt good till about 2 hr 45 minutes and then I really started to bonk. I was so glad when I saw the parking lot and my car. This was my longest ride ever. Overall it didnt feel too bad. The final Stats: 3 Hrs 48.06 miles. Avg Pace 16.04 mph

I think this ride has given me the confidence to know I can do the SC Half IM at the end of Sept. I will wait till the end of May to sign up just in case, but the only thing that will stop me at this point is an injury. I also think I will stick to what the plan calls for from here on out so I dont overdo it. The other thing I may change is that I may try sucking down gels every 45 minutes since it seemed like I was getting tired a little earlier then 60 minutes.

6 comments:

J~Mom said...

Awesome job on your ride!! That is great to know about the gel on the bike! I don't use them very often on the bike just because it's a pain.

Wes said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. Nothing will make your times drop faster than dropping the poundage. This I know :-)

Very cool on the ride too. Anytime you go over an hour you need to start taking gels and fluids. My personal strategy is to take in one gel every 30 minutes on the bike, except at the end. I eat a Cliff Bar before I run. I think I took in about 1100 calories on my 3 hour ride Saturday. I have no idea if that is the "right" amount for me, but it seems to be working out OK. Glad your nutritionist is such a big help...

Marcy said...

Wow!! Sounds like you are totally kicking butt on both the training and weight loss ;D Awesome!

akshaye said...

Nice long ride!

Oh btw.. The Peachtree is usually too crowded to actually run :)

Kevin said...

Thats the good thing about previously running a 10K under 54:59. By being in Time group 1, you really dont have to fight the crowds. Last year, which was a so-so year as far as training goes I ran it in 55:40(Chip Time). If my training continues the way it is going I could see myself taking several minutes off that time

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hey-great job on your weight loss!! I'm so impressed! Talk about inspiration!