Saturday, April 19, 2008

We have a winner

So I met up with the group today for the OWS. I put my wetsuit on and it fit great. I got into the water and was like wow this isnt too bad. It was weird at first that me feet were kinda cold but I couldnt feel the cold at all in my legs. I slowly got deeper till I let my arms in the water. It was cold, but it didnt bother me at all. I dropped my head in and was good to go. The first lap around I took the shortened inner loop which is like 100 meters. I was having to breathe every stroke still getting used to having my face in the cold. It was definitely a different feeling being so much more buoyant like that. Once the group that did the outer 500 meter loop got back, I decided to join them for their second loop. It went really well. The only ting I need to do is take my race goggles with me to the pool, because they werent feeling right. I havent worn them at all since October and I can tell I have lost weight in my face. I got out of the water and I was surprised to find out the zipper was all the way down. No wonder it felt like I was getting lots of water in my suit when I sprinted to the finish.

Getting the wetsuit off wasnt too bad. I did notice one thing when I took it off: the velcro pad on the butt where the zipper leash attaches to has come loose, so I will need to find a way to secure it with either hot glue or super glue. I am glad I went with the sleeveless. It fits well and I didnt really feel too cold. It didnt really let water in through the arm holes, which I worried it might.

It was great to finally meet my fellow bloggers Wes and Sarah I enjoy meeting up with fellow triathletes who have the passion for the sport like I do.

So last night I decided to do my long run of the week. Since I am only midway through my Oly training, it was only 60 minutes. Usually I do my long runs with the same group every Saturday morning. We usually keep about a 10:15 pace. I decided to see what I could do without going too hard. Boy was I surprised when I looked at my garmin and saw 8:40. Wow I wasnt completely out of breath or anything. My first three miles were great. After those I backed off a little, but was still very consistant with my speed. My miles were as follows 8:47,8:49,8:50,9:52,9:38.9:37.
I ended up doing almost 6.5 miles in an hour for a pace of 9:16. For my next long run I think I may shoot to stay around 9 minutes the whole time. I dont think it will be too hard as long as I dont go out too fast.

Tomorrow is a short brick. I will ride about 90 min and a short 10-15 min run off the bike. Have a great weekend.
Kevin

13 comments:

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

IT's nice that you got to do an open water swim with blogger friends.

I'm getting the itch to take my wetsuit to some open water for practice soon too...

cindy said...

That's awesome!! I'm glad you like the new wetsuit.

sRod said...

Thanks for passing by. Good luck with the training!

Stef said...

These workouts sound great! I did OW swimming with a group for the first time a few weeks ago and was SO GLAD. It really helps and is motivating too.

Your times are awesome as well -- like you I was not athletic in high school. Or college for that matter. So it feels really great to be an athlete now.

Thanks for stopping by blog and for your nice comments. :-)

Marcy said...

Sweet! That's speedy speedy! ;D ;D

Ooohhh and you got to meet the Mr Wes too! Lucky you ;-)

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

See, how you have that first open water/wetsuit tester...you should be all do to go! Awesome job! I wish the water was warm enough in my area. It's gonna be awhile yet!

teacherwoman said...

Nice splits on the run! Super speedy! :)

akshaye said...

Sweet..and you met Wes and Sarah, how cool!

Wes said...

I found some info on the web on how to fix issues with wet suits. I believe they recommended some contact cement for stuff like that. I enjoyed meeting you too on Saturday. Hope our paths cross more often :-)

Stella run too!!

Makita said...

Great run! How sweet that you got to meet Wes and Sarah! :D

Sarah said...

Hey! It was great to meet you and I too am so glad we did the open water swim. I need to do a few more this summer, so I'm sure we'll all meet up soon!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Nice job with the run. Sounds like you have built a nice base and harder paces are getting easier. Awesome!

J~Mom said...

Sounds like you had some solid workouts!! Nice job!