Wednesday, April 16, 2008

That that dont kill me, can only make me stronger

I am just amazed at how my training continues to improve. I have been pushing myself harder then I ever have before. I was listening to my Ipod and Kanye West's song Stronger came on. I really like the lyric I used as this post's title. That that dont kill me can only make me stronger. I think that is my new motto. I find myself pushing through limits I never thought I could. It is hard, but I keep surprising myself.

Yesterday I did more intervals on the treadmill. I decided to up my resting/warmup/cooldown speed from 6 to 6.5. I found I was able to do this without any trouble. The next step may be to up the speed on my sprints. Currently I am running at 8 mph for my sprints. I was going through all my running stuff on my PC and I found a great tool for figuring out all the different paces based on a previous race result. It looks like my speed is almost right on track with what they recommend. I really feel like my running is making great progress.

Today was a little tough because I have been having breathing problems all day due to asthma. This is the first time in a really long time it was really flaring up. I decided the safest thing to do since my wife wasnt gonna go to the gym and we carpooled, was to get on the trainer and do my ride today instead of swimming today and riding on Columns tomorrow. Todays plan called for 70 minutes on the bike with 3*3 min at VO2 Max with a 3 min recovery. The intervals werent bad, but I definitely know I need alot of work on the bike. I know that as my weight comes off my cycling will get better.

My wetsuit should be in tommorow. I really hope it fits. I am working on putting my HIM training plan together. Wow I dont know how I am going to fit it all in. I may have to ask my boss if I can take longer lunches. That and I may need to get up super early and run in the AM. I am really excited about getting this started. I know it will be alot of work, but I have gained so much confidence in myself over the last months. I know I can do this. I also want to thank all of you for the great support and advice. I am so glad I have gotten into blogging. There is such a great community of triathlete and runner bloggers. Thanks

Kevin

8 comments:

akshaye said...

You are making terrific progress - and your commitment is inspiring! Good luck starting the plan.

Wes said...

I rode out at Columns Drive yesterday and did 3x5 w/2 minutes recovery. It was... fun.. yea, that's the ticket :-) I'll be back out there today for a brick at lunch. Good stuff.

Most training plans are doable by simply being creative. Good luck!! It is all so worth it in the end.

Gotta Run said...

It will be a ton of work but it will be worth getting up at crazy hours and training longer at lunch when you cross the finish line. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I am waiting for new cycle shorts to arrive. sure hope they fit too!

cindy said...

That is an inspiring song, for sure!

That is awesome that you are seeing improvement...of course you would, though, you are training hard!

Great job :)

J~Mom said...

I just downloaded that song about a month ago and it has really got me through some spots when working out.

I have asthma as well. It's tough some days and you can't really fight it.

Let us know about the wetsuit!

Marcy said...

You're TOTALLY kicking some serious butt ;D No doubts about you doing awesome for the HIM ;D ;D

Makita said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog...your words were very uplifting!

I'm not familiar with that song... off to iTunes to check it out! :D

teacherwoman said...

One thing I learned about training, especially triathlon training, is that you gotta be flexible and willing to change things around when necessary! you got that down!

You are rockin'!