Thursday, April 24, 2008

I christen thee windbreaker

On the 24th day of the 4th month of the year 2008 this bike hath been enshrined with the name Windbreaker, for as its rider doth travel in aero position, it dost breakest through the wind whilst its rider doth breaketh much wind.


So I had never really thought about naming my bike till today. As I was doing todays ride in the wind, spending much time in the aero position the name Windbreaker came to me. I have had the bike for less then a year and it has worked really well for me.

So onto today's ride. I drove out to Columns Dr. For those not in Atlanta, Columns drive is one of the triathletes' training meccas here in the ATL. It is a quiet residential road (or at least in terms of cars). It runs 2.5 miles with no lights or stop signs. It is rather flat and dead ends at a great park along the Chattahoochee River with several miles of dirt and gravel trails for both running and mountain biking. So I went out there to do about 70 minutes. I ended up doing about 80. I rode out of the park at a moderate pace (17-19mph), and would ride back at a faster pace in the aero position(20-21.5). I was really focusing on my pedaling and consistency of my cadence. While up, I was trying to stay at around 90-95 rpm and in aero, I would average about 85-90 and stayed in the big ring of my 3 ring. It felt really good. I was really able to power through in aero position without really pushing too hard. I want to thank Wes for the tip on a good cadence.

The drugs the Doc has me on have me feeling so much better. Last night was the first night I slept through the night in several weeks. I have a little streak going 13 days without any days completely off. When I need it I do take days completely off. I also really do make recovery weeks much lighter then normal weeks.

Tomorrow's schedule is for a swim, but I may also try to get my long run in since the Saturday weather here is iffy. Its weird how it seems like it has been storming in Atlanta almost every Friday Night/Saturday morning for several months.

OCN: 25.13 mi / 1:19:36 / 18.94 mph

9 comments:

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

Nice name!

I never named my bikes. I call them by their function or brand (ex: the commuter, the Gian, the LeMond, my racing bike). boring, I know.

Wes said...

ROFLMAO!! I'm sure Windbreaker is delighted that you break wind to the leeward side :-) I love it when the name of your bike just comes to you. I've been less than flatteringly called "Bike Whisperer", but I am who I am :-D

Killer ride,dude! That is totally cool! At Columns Drive, I usually stay in what ever ring my bike is in when I get there! LOL! It's so flat, I can find a comfortable range in either ring.

Glad to hear the drugs are working! Have a great weekend, bro!!

Marcy said...

Alright!! Sweet name! Totally better choice than what I would've picked, everything I name comes from a pool of D List celebs LOL

J~Mom said...

Great ride!! I love the name you picked!!

Stef said...

Great ride! I need to practice the aero position more. Honestly it makes me nervous because it feels like I have less control over the bike.

Jess said...

Nicely named.

Bikes, cars, guns, they should all be named.

teacherwoman said...

Love the name! I was thinking about picking up my bike this weekend, but with the snow, I might wait another week...

akshaye said...

Sweet name :)

Sam said...

NICE!