Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hello My Name is Kevin and I am a train-a-holic

Ok so today was the day I went and saw the asthma/allergy doc. I really liked this doctor compared to the one I saw last year. He really seemed more concerned with finding the cause and treating that rather then just treating the symptoms. I did a breathing test and after he saw the results they gave me a breathing treatment and re-did the tests. The results were so much better. It actually sounded like if I were treating my asthma properly and had full use of my lungs, I have above average lung capacity. SO he gave me lots of samples :). He put me on a different nasal spray, a different asthma inhaler, this one with cortisone, and about 5 days worth of prednisone to really kick this out of my system. I have a follow up appointment in less then 2 weeks to do a full allergy test (he'd rather rely on his own then another doc's results) as well as to see how I am progressing.

Because Cathy was meeting me at the Dr's office, we were going to head to the pool. She wasnt feeling well so we headed home. I figured no big deal, I have the next two days off, Ill take a much needed day off. Well that didnt last too long. I had dinner around 630 and by 730 I was getting antsy. My body was screaming...Kevin go out and train, even if its a quick 30 min run or ride. Unintentionally, I have been almost 2 weeks without a rest day and actually feel real good. So by 8:15 I was out running in the neighboorhood. Of course I had to test the drugs to see if they were working. I went out really fast. I was doing under 8:00/mile for about the first 3.4 of a mile. By then I was getting out of breath. Obviously it will take some time for the meds to take effect. So I slowed down and finished my first mile in 8:10. That is actually really fast for me. Of ours, my legs were screaming Faster Harder while my lungs were screaming Im not Okay. So obviously my lungs won out. With a little bit of walking, I did miles 2 and 3 in 10:45 and 10:10 respectively. I really feel that if I can treat my asthma, I will be able to run much faster

ORN:3 mi 29:05 9:42/mi

9 comments:

Wes said...

With me, its been my acid reflux. It's hard to breath with a constant runny nose. I feel so much better now that its warmed up and my nose is running less...

A perennial marathon winner said, "Go hard on hard days, easy on easy days!" Train smarter, not harder :-)

You'll be belting out sub-8 minute miles in no time, I'm sure!!! Well done!

Marcy said...

The Dr's appointment sounded really promising :-) Sweet! ;D ;D

Sam said...

Imagine what you could do with the complete use of your lungs. Make sure to take those rest days, they are as important as the training. I just take too many!

cindy said...

Glad you found a better doctor. That's always more comforting and reassuring.

I've had this nagging little cough after I run or swim hard. I'm hoping it's just something in the air.

Great run!

Chad in the Arizona Desert said...

Sounds like you found a good doctor. I hope the treatments cure your problems.

Nice job with the run...but don't skimp on the rest days. That's when you get stronger.

Brian said...

I would take a rest day.
I like to over do it, but it's too early to get hurt or burn out.
For me, rest days don't have to be passive, you can stretch it out, go on a long walk, or heck mow my lawn.
Your body will become stronger with some time off.

Trust me, I've done all of the dumb stuff.

Lisa - Slow & Steady said...

It sounds promising that you might work things out for asthma treatment.

J~Mom said...

I am glad you got some meds to help! Sometimes it is a matter of trying different things to see what will help you.

akshaye said...

I am glad the doctor is trying diff things. Hopefully you will see the benefits soon.