Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Easily distracted

So I was determined not to let my asthma get too much in the way of my training. I used my inhaler right before I got to the gym and I felt pretty good. Tonight's plan called for some short sprints. Boy did it feel great. My only problem was I couldnt seem to keep track of the time too well. I was either glancing at the tv or lost in thought that a couple times I missed my switch. I was supposed to warm up for 10. I looked down at one point and was like oh crap! its already 10:30 no way. So I decided to extend my warmup to 11 and cut my cool down to 9. The main set was 18* 30 Sec sprint @ 8mph 30 sec rec @ 6.5. Well halfway through, I was sprinting when I realized I missed the switch to recovery. SO I said what the heck, Ill skip this rest, finish through the next sprint and then go back to normal on the next recovery. Wow I was surprised how good that 90 sec interval felt. So I made it through the intervals without any problems and recovered fine.

Tomorrow I see the Allergy/Asthma doc and I am hoping for some answers. After that I have two much needed days off of work. Thursday I may go watch the Tour de Georgia team time trials at Road Atlanta. I have school that night, so I may need to skip out on this. On Friday, I am definitely going to try and catch some cycling action as it passes close to my house and then Ill prolly drive to Dahlonega and see the finish and the expo. Its just amazing to see the pros race. I wish I could go watch them crawl up brasstown bald, but it is a mess up there during the race.

I have been thinking about my marathon options. I want to do one after my 70.3. I know I shouldnt really train for the marathon at the same time as the 70.3. I am hoping to recover from the 70.3 and jump right into a marathon plan rather then having to start over at the beginning of one. I need to find one close to home. My 70.3 is planned for September 28. I have several options. Chickamagua is November 8, this may just be too soon. My other 2008 option is the Atlanta Thanksgiving. This may be doable as far as timing goes, having almost two months to build off my 70.3 training, but I havent heard great things about this race. Miles 20-25 are all uphill. After that, I could consider the Mercedes in February in Birmingham or wait till march and do either Snickers or ING. Any input on timing or any of these races would be much appreciated

ORN:Intervals 18 *30 Spr/30 Rec 4.37 mi 38 min 8:42 mpm



8 comments:

J~Mom said...

Glad your run went well!

Brian said...

I ran Chickamauga last year as my first marathon and it was nice.
Small race 400 people, quite, just like all of my training runs. The hills aren't too tall and the scenery was very nice.

I think if you can train for your 70.3 and stay run focused you'll be fine. And the weather will be getting cooler that time of year so your long training runs won't kill you.

-Brian

Wes said...

Chickamauga is an awesome race. Forgot about that one, but I think it is too close to the half IM. You'll need to get up to at least a couple of 20 milers before the marathon. My advice is just don't get in a hurry. The first one is going to be tough no matter where you go...

cindy said...

I seem to always post after Wes here, and then say "I agree with Wes." LOL

I do agree with him though about taking it slow. It's fun combining the marathon training with tri training, but my first marathon was so much harder than I expected. Everyone's different though...with the training you've been doing, you're gonna ROCK IT this season!!

Marcy said...

Ooooo good luck with the Dr tomorrow (actually today since i'mr eading late :P)! Let us know how it goes ;-)

Jess said...

Glad the sprints went well and hope the doctor apt provides you with some answers!

Ryan said...

Imagine the gluttonous feast you could partake in if you run a marathon Thanksgiving day!!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Is there a trick to "missing" these times because if so, you need to let me know. I NEVER miss because I'm ALWAYS watching the clock. Hence why time drags on!