Wednesday, March 12, 2008

And miles to go before i sleep

So I had a great workout yesterday. I did 1400 in the pool with the main set being 5*100 base intervals. Im feeling pretty good other then my breathing. As the pollen counts have been creeping up, so has my asthma. I noticed on Monday that my run felt better once I took a few puffs of my inhaler. Well I forgot to use it and when I would push myself, I would have to take a breath every other stroke. I need to try to get more strokes per breath. My other thing to work on is maintaining my form when I start to tire. I have noticed that as I tire, my form goes to crap. Oh and to top it all off, I was watching a how to on flip turns posted on BT and I think Ive been doing it wrong since I swam in HS. Not that it matters too much for tri's, but there may an indoor tri every now and then.

Today.Day Two without any soda. Two days ago I had a bad Diet Coke from McDonalds and decided I really dont need it. So Ive been drinkings lots of water and a small amount of Iced Tea in addition to my morning fresh made juice. Yesterday I had a headache by the end of the day, but today I feel good.

So todays workout called for 75 min's on the bike. Since Im really building back and I dont like riding alone, I hopped on the trainer. I decided to pop a video in the portable DVD player. BIG MISTAKE. By 30 min's I was feeling tired. I sucked down a gel and turned the dvd off and turned on the IPod and the rest of the ride was much better. My legs did feel a little tired, but otherwise it was a good ride.

Tomorrow is another swim day, then Im off Friday and Saturday is the Clinic which is almost like a full sprint tri (If the weather cooperates)

1 comment:

Wes said...

Hey Kevin! Thanks for stopping by...

I can empathize with your asthma. My acid reflux condition causes my nose to run all the time down the back of my throat. Makes it very hard to breath while swimming. Grrrr! Bilateral breathing every 3rd or 5th stroke is a good thing. It will definitely improve your cardiovascular system, which means better biking and running too. In a race, however, its over rated. With the adrenaline pumping, and hitting the water, breathing every other stroke is almost a must.

As a triathlete, I recommend giving up all carbonated beverages, except for beer of course :-)

If you are interested, check out some of my older posts on heart rate monitor training. Its a very effective way to train under controlled conditions (like a trainer or a treadmill).

You are going to love West Point. If you haven't already done so, check out my race report from last year...